The New Sta.sh APIs
- Fetch Submission Media - Now developers can request the filesize, dimensions and URL for the original media associated with any Sta.sh submission.
- Fetch Submission or Folder Metadata - Apps can now get all of a submission's dirty details (keywords, artist comments, thumbnail URLs, etc). It can also be used with Sta.sh folders for greater organization capabilities!
- List Folders and Submissions - My personal favorite and the workhorse of this release: this API call gives developers full read access to a user's Sta.sh in an intelligent way. We'll look more at the tech behind this call below.
The Challenges of a Delta
Challenge 1: How can a third party application check the status of thousands of deviation submissions and Sta.sh folders repeatedly without drastically increasing server load and lagging the app?
That's cool and all.. but where is the API for [awesome feature X]?
- Give us some stats.
If you have a successful app that is being used daily by deviants worldwide, growing in popularity and proving a benefit to the community, throw some numbers our way. Although popularity doesn't affect what is and isn't possible, it can be an important factor in deciding where to concentrate our efforts for the most benefit to most users.
- Show us what your app will do with the call.
Most of you already have very successful dA apps in the desktop and mobile world. We realize that there is a lot of DiFi hacking and page scraping necessary to make your app do what you want it to do. Show us how the new API will reduce your reliance on these methods. Include screen captures if you can, we like to look at shiny XHR logs and fail messages.
- Be specific and technical.
We're developers, just like you. If you see a need for an official API, take the time to help us understand exactly what you want from the API (request parameters and result objects). This doesn't mean that we will honor your spec request exactly (we do what we can with the infrastructure we have), but it will help us understand your need more clearly.